Monday, March 30, 2009

Happy Birthday, Jedidiah and Jack!

Two years ago I was in a hospital room, freshly wounded yet heavily medicated following the most invasive and most miraculous procedure of my life. You guessed it - Jedidiah and Jack were born. Justin and I have experienced so many emotional extremes since their birth, from complete exhaustion to complete joy. Time has not flown in this house of four sons - we have felt every hour of every moment. But that is a blessing. The dark circles under our eyes is proof of our presence for all the important and not-so-important milestones, like when Jack barked at Rolfe for the first time or when Jed took his first steps.

The twins celebrated their birthday today in an age-appropriate manner. They found a box of Honey Nut Cheerios and opened it up - I discovered both of them sitting like little islands in the midst of a Cheerio ocean in the kitchen. With mouths full of cereal, they thought it was hilarious. Then they whined all through dinner at Pick Up Stix despite the new Blue's Clues DVD playing on the portable DVD player. Then they completed the day tearing apart and smashing their birthday cupcakes.

So 731 days ago I was recovering and unknowingly getting my last chance at rest before our official start as a family of 6. Every now and then, when I see or feel my C-section scar, I remember that feeling of fear for the lives of the twins. But today I also chalk it up as evidence of a life more blessed than it was 732 days ago.

Happy 2nd Birthday, Jedidiah and Jack! We love you!

1 comment: