Friday, August 31, 2007

Down and Dirty



Everyone knows that being a stay-at-home mom has its highs and lows. Well, I've hit an all time low. So low, in fact, that I'm sure you faithful readers of our blog will make a comment the next time I hear from you. I really can't believe it myself. After all these years of staying home, I don't think I've done it before. You'll question my ability as a mother, wonder how I sleep at night, and think twice the next time you see me. You'll think "No! Her?" Yes, me.

So here it is: I haven't showered for TWO days. No, we didn't go camping. Our water hasn't been shut off. No intruder came into our home and forced me to NOT shower. The bathroom door wasn't mistakenly locked and it's taken this long for the locksmith to open it. No, I just haven't bathed. The past two days have been pretty routine - there's a 25% chance that one of my sons is awake and needs something, and in the rare moment when they're all asleep, I want to sleep. Believe me, it's not such a difficult decision to make, deciding whether to shower or sleep. When you're home most of the time, you talk on the phone, you e-mail, but you don't have to see the outside world for days. My hair has been in a ponytail since the last shower and I've resorted to wearing a headband, too, to keep the really stray hairs away from my face. I've been wearing my eyeglasses (except for a short contact lens stint yesterday), and changed in and out (in favor of pajamas) of the same pair of shorts. Only my face has been washed and my teeth brushed- that's it. Now I can't believe I'm sharing it with you all - the more I describe it, the ickier it sounds. Could this be why the kids haven't hugged me lately and the dog runs away when I come out to feed him? Is Justin filing for divorce as I type?

Ah, a quiet house. It's 10:30pm and all the kids have been put to bed. Hold on - they're all asleep? Maybe I can finally take a shower! Then again, maybe I'll just sleep and the shower will have to wait one more day...

2 comments:

Carina said...

Okay, I do this...and I have one kid :) If it took you four kids (and twins, too!) to get to this point, I'm impressed.

Anonymous said...

When the stakes are so highly not in your favor for getting a good night's sleep, I think I'd opt for a nap too! An acquaintance from church told me to tell you it will get easier!!!