Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Snake Bus

So I started teaching James how to read. I know he's only 3 1/2, but, believe me, it's totally no pressure. He already knows all his letters and sounds, so, reading comes next, right? We're using reading rods, which are little interlocking blocks that each have a letter on it. From what I understand, using tactile skills enhances visual learning. Anyhow, this is how today's lesson went:

Me: James, put these letters together: b, u, and s. What sound does "b" make?
James: Buh.
Me: What sound does "u" make?
James: Uh.
Me: What sound does "s" make?
James: Sss.
Me: OK, now, let's put those blocks and sounds together. What does it say?
James: Buh-uh-sss.
Me: Again. Faster.
James: Buh-uh-sss.
Me: You're doing it! Again!
James: Buh-uh-sss!
Me: Yay! What does it say?
James: Snake!

I guess that saying "You get what you pay for" currently applies to James's education.

2 comments:

Carina said...

Ha! That's great! Kids are too funny.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, Tristan and I have the same conversation:
Me: C-A-R Car
Tristan: C-I-R Parly!
Me: C-A-R Car!
Tristan: C-I-R Parly, parly parly pee! (and proceeds to run away)