Thursday, March 20, 2008

3:10 to Arcadia


Sunday was my birthday and Josephine surprised me with a rare gift - A whole day off. I spent the morning doing our taxes and trimming some grass. Then I thought, "What am I doing?" After cleaning up I got in my car and tried to figure out what to do. There were too many options. I wandered to Costco then settled on renting movies and heading to Arcadia. Josephine had arranged for me to get an uninterrupted night of sleep at Hotel Golden West (the guest house at my brother-in-law's).

So, I grabbed a burger at Tops and two movies and settled in to "cocoon". It was very quiet. I ate my whole lunch without interruption while watching the movie. After 3:10 to Yuma I pondered my next step - another movie? take a nap? listen to my thoughts?

Well, the strangest thing happened. I couldn't relax. It was too quiet and I missed Josephine and the boys. After the movie I spent 30 minutes going back and forth. Should I stay or should I go? It was weird. Here I had what I thought I wanted - peace and quiet. In the end, the silence was deafening.

I went inside and chatted with Laurence, Cina, Lolo, AJ and Lea. I explained why I was leaving and about 9 p.m. I headed home. The boys were asleep when I arrived and I ended up watching the other video - Battlestar Galactica in bed with Josephine at my side - as it should be.

Then around 11 pm I put my head down on the pillow to sleep. Right then Jedidiah woke up and cried for about an hour. Then Jack woke up and cried as well. But eventually they both went back to sleep. I slept on the couch while Jed watched Baby Einstein and eventually slept. Josephine collapsed in bed after finally getting Jack back to sleep.

Normally, it would bother me but this time I was glad to be home. Tired but glad.

Funny thing is on Saturday afternoon, I left around 3 p.m. and headed back home around 9 p.m. Left at 3 and gone for 6 hours. 36.

Happy 36th Birthday to me!

No comments: