Sunday, December 1, 2013

The Most Blogger-ful Time of the Year


Inspiration can come from anywhere.  Realizing that it's already December was the inspiration for me to continue my blogging tradition of frantically writing at the end of the year, just so I can "keep up" my blog (like "keeping up" the roots of your hair by wearing hats in between salon visits).  But I told my husband that, starting today, I WILL blog everyday until Christmas - I WILL.  Now I may be falsely assuming that there is still interest in my blog, but if I treat my audience like I treat my husband, I'll just go on and on whether anyone is paying attention or not.

So "Why the picture of the painted nails?", you ask?  (Herein begins the "writing with abandon".)  In keeping with the theme of "inspiration", I was recently inspired to retry new things, the first being to paint my nails.  For those of you unfamiliar, I haven't painted my fingernails for years.  Actually, decades.  No joke.  If my old mind serves me correctly, I think I last had my nails done when my oldest brother got married.  In 1997.  And they were acrylic, so waiting for those darn things to grow out and trying to pick them off was only part of why I never painted my nails again.  And now I am also a stay at home mom.  I have four sons.  I have no maid.  I love to cook.  But I tried to deny these facts and submit to the powers of Pinterest, so I had a friend buy me a bottle of OPI Roadhouse Blues (like the pic above).  The reason I had a friend buy it for me is because OPI is an expensive brand of nail polish and my friend is a hairstylist so she gets me discounts at the supply store and as I said I'm a stay at home mom so I try to be cheap without looking like it.  Anyway, I somehow found an extra hour in my day and actually painted my nails - base coat and top coat and all!  (I know, check me.)  I absolutely loved it, was so proud of myself for doing it, and felt so hip wearing dark nail polish!  (Hmmm, I think using the word "hip" just negated any coolness I just built up for myself.)  Well, as we all know, painting your nails doesn't take away life's responsibilities, so only two days later my nails looked like this:
I should have taken another pic after I finished the laundry that day, but if you can imagine nails with no polish on them whatsoever you've pretty much got the picture.  I was actually hoping to paint them again today:  I wanted the whole "New Look, New Blog" theme, but seeing as it's dinner time and I wanted to squeeze in this post before reheating Thanksgiving fare, painting my nails will have to wait - again.

And since the Christmas season has begun and I must somehow segue from nail polish to the birth of Jesus Christ, I am rebooting my blog with my FIRST EVER CHRISTMAS GIVEAWAY!  Just leave a comment telling me how often you paint your nails, and you'll be entered to win your very own bottle of OPI Roadhouse Blues!  I know you're thinking that I'm just going to give you the rest of my unused bottle, but I'm not.  (Winner will be announced on this post on Friday, 12/6.)

So readers, join me in raising a bottle of nail polish as we begin a new season of inspiration!  Here's to streams of thought, unaccomplishable Pinterest projects, and Baby Jesus!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do my nails once a week on Sunday after the kiddos are down for the night. I use Essie. It lasts for 4-5 days. I do not use a base or top coat. Keep painting my friend:)
D

Tracy Y. said...

Can totally identify with your post. I know I painted my nails for my wedding in 1997, but I'm not sure if I've done it since then. It makes me sad when it comes off so soon after working so hard to put it on. =( My girls have a different opinion tho. =P

Anonymous said...

I did my nails last night, i think the last time ... was probably 2 or 3 years ago... any ways thanks to Pintrest im trying new things .... this time didnt turn out that pretty.....

Unknown said...

I had my toenails done just like you! But mine was way cheaper. Only cost me a tennis match and a little blood under the nail. But MINE lasted a whole 4 months!!!

Jessica said...

SECHE VITE, $8 at Sally's Beauty Supply. This top coat will give you an extra week of polish wear. Even if you Ajax your bathtub, scrub the grout between the kitchen tiles or wash dishes (ungloved-gasp!). OPI has the best names of polish. Suzi Loves Cowboys and Nien! Nien! Nien! OK Fine! are my favorite.

Unknown said...

Never, Miss Riggs. But, I'm a guy and I'm not metrosexual, not even close...so I'm cool with that.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE getting my nails done. However this is usually a set of pink and white..and its usually for special occations like a wedding of if my hubby is trying to "spoil me" cuse my eye is starting to twich as I too have all boys, and sometime feel like I've lost the fight for all things girly in my home. If it is pink or pretty it will get sticky or broken. So my nails are my way of reminding my self that oh yeah: behind the transformer t-shirt and red chucks..I'm stll a girl. Also nice reminders are earrings....and perfume. Toes are a must. And it lasts and lasts (prob cuse I'm always in socks) but at least I know..that IF I took them off they would be dang cute. Just don't lift the pant leg..I have more than likely NOT shaved my legs.
-Love gracie

Carole said...

Oct 15,2012 self manicure,clear polish for a wedding�� unless you count toenails then 2 months ago. Oh, I use OPI too

JLR said...

Thank you all for your comments. And the winner of the OPI RoadHouse Blues nailpolish is...





Laurence Lopez!

Congratulations, Laurence! I have your phone#, your address, and the same parents as you. You'll be receiving your nailpolish soon! Weird...