Saturday, July 28, 2007

Go, James, Go!


Today was an amazing day for James. As some of you already know, he is not potty trained. In fact, we haven't had a chance to even start. His response to our requests to just sit on the potty has always been a firm "No." Now, if you know James then you know he is one of those kids who can't be forced to do something he doesn't want to do. You need to give him candy.

So, I have been waiting for warm weather to start training him. Today, I made him go "O Natural" on the bottom with the kids potty nearby. I proceeded to feed him lots of fluids and crackers without putting any pressure on him to go. He knew that candy would be consumed after a successful #1 or #2. Despite many requests I kindly refused to put a diaper or even underwear on him.

Several minutes (or hours) into a regular day James rewarded us with a #1. We erupted in celebration, songs, dancing -- We were so proud and he knew. "Can I have candy?" The real motivation was revealed and yes you can have several pounds of candy.

The days plan included a trip to Pasadena for a birthday party. Josephine, Jonah and James needed to leave after 2 p.m. and we were quickly approaching decision time -- James really wanted a diaper which meant he had to go #2. This was a golden opportunity to literally push the whole potty-training process forward light-years.

A few minutes later, I was cleaning up the counter when James triumphantly declared that he had made poo-poo. We have had false alarms in the past so of course I had to verify before any prizes would be awarded.

I'll spare you the graphic details, (I do have a picture if you want to see it! Eck!) but I'll just say that Mr. James (aka Minis) had pulled out all the stops. There was nothing "minis" about it.

So, it was time to celebrate again. We had promised James candy and a "Go, Diego, Go" DVD if he went #2. So after cleaning up, eating dinner and dressing, James and I headed off to the one place every "big boy" must go to - Best Buy.

Congratulations James!

No comments: