Thursday, January 21, 2010

AP History

Inspiration can come from anywhere. In this case, high school memories of having to write a 3-point essay in 35 minutes every Friday have reminded me how much I enjoy writing. Granted, at the time, it was weekly torture having to prepare a written argument for 10 possible topics in American History, but I realize what a valuable experience it was. I look back at that beer-gutted teacher inappropriately dressed in short shorts and appreciate how strict he was in teaching his students to write properly and effectively. I also appreciate that he sat behind a large podium most of the time.

And just as inspiration comes, it goes. Although having four sons can provide a wealth of material about which to blog, my free time to actually write is inversely proportional to the time it takes to meet their needs, however interesting or entertaining they may be. And while I have the intention of creating articulate streams of thought and works of prose, I expect to be interrupted and my works cut short.

So for now I will refrain from predicting the frequency of my posts, but at least I know that the intent exists. And I also know that I can still crank out an essay debating whether the American Revolution was, in fact, a "revolution" - just give me 35 minutes.

1 comment:

Lena said...

it's about time! ;)