Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Grass-O

I got to speak Spanish today. I studied Spanish Literature in college and I got to use my "skillz" (or as they say in Spanish, "ehskillz") NOT to translate some academic paper, or a novel, or even a letter. I translated a conversation between my husband and the gardener Luis. With simple words like "cada semana" (every week), "cesped" (grass), and "cortar" (to cut), I saved Justin from extreme pantomiming of someone mowing tall grass down to short grass. He was also spared of putting the suffix -O after every word to make it sound like Spanish ("can you-O cut-O the grass-O every week-O? How much-O will it cost-O?"). So since Luis only had a look of confusion on his face twice, I assume our front lawn will be mowed every week and the backyard mowed every other week as requested. Either that or I've promised the gardener thousands of dollars to turn on the sprinklers. We'll see ("vamos a ver").
I want to learn French. Or Latin. And how to play the guitar.

No comments: